Tuesday, April 12, 2011

KINDLE FOR PC: A Feel for the Real Thing



Kindle for PC is almost like the real thing



Welcome to the future.

Call me a late bloomer, but it’s my first time to actually say it.

I’ve registered 70 books in GoodReads last week to be read the entire year. I originally wrote 20 books, but it was unforgivable, if not primitive. The problem is, I don’t have books anymore having stopped buying for two years now. So I only estimated an average of 1 book per two weeks. Not bad considering I can only read in trains and jeepneys because my quiet time is dedicated to Bible-reading. This leads me reading only old titles and opening the anciently stocked ones that have never been opened since their moment of purchase.

But it’s still not enough. I have to get more.

JsP bought a Kindle last January. He has been posting stuff about it in twitter ever since. I had no idea what a Kindle was. I actually thought it has something to do with flames and some artsy-fartsy video thingy (Jyp being a videographer and a good one at that), but when Stn started talking about it as well, alarm signals about books rang somewhere in my subconscious.


Kindle options for readers


I still don’t have a Kindle (the machine) if that’s where you think this is leading. I am actually gonna talk about the Kindle software for PCs which I downloaded after learning from Stn that it actually exists.

It’s heaven. It’s the new, er, thing. It’s nice to read books and get to choose the color of the pages and letters (Kindle only has three options: white paper, sepia and black and white, needless to say, those suffice) and the number of lines per page and the font size and the kernelling and the... I can go on forever.

Scrolling is easy with the arrow keys. I can bookmark without having to buy bookmarks! I can highlight without buying highlighters. And I can erase them! (I think... Though, I’ve never tried it yet.) I can scan words and right click on a word to see the meaning of a certain word! Huwaw! I don’t have to carry a dictionary with me (as if) all the time or pretend to know a lengthy word that will make me look smart if dropped in a conversation. I just have to be connected to the internet.

Portability is nothing like the real thing. It’s currently installed in two PCs for me, and the other one is in my laptop, which is a 15-inch one that I obviously don’t feel like carrying with me all the time.

Kindle Paper
Kindle Black and White
Kindle Sepia
Kindle for PC can be downloaded for free so there’s no need to hack or steal or scour the world wide web for pirated stuff. Amazon gives the readers three free ebooks to start with. I was glad they gave Pride and Prejudice for free (though I can easily get it from Project Gutenberg anyway). Speaking of which, you can download Kindle books in Project Gutenberg. They have options for Kindle users.
Three free ebooks upon downloading Kindle for PC

Kindle currently has three models. I am salivating over Kindle DX ($379), but it’s too hefty for me. It has a 9.7” screen, something its predecessors don’t have, but basically, the functions are the same. Kindle Wi-Fi ($139) has no 3G functions, so there’s no connectivity unless you read in hotspots. Kindle 3G ($189) has 3G.

Converted to peso, I am saving up around P9000.00 at most for WiFi-3G. I still have PX,000.00 to go, since the anniversary of the church is upcoming and I have to buy everyone Amber Pichi-Pichi. Hehe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More