Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sleeping in an Airport - We have the worst airport in Asia (You didn't know?)

Sleeping in an airport



Do you sleep in airports?

It’s official. We have the worst airport in Asia. After years of denial, someone finally realized it’s no use hiding it. It has circulated the web last week and each time I encounter a link to the news, I close my window, turn off my laptop and walk away.  

No I don’t, but you get the idea.

I live near the airport. In Parañaque. Commuting, it’s around 30 minutes inside a jeepney, 20 inside an FX. Unless you’re me, you take the FX. Driving, it’s just 7-10 minutes. If you’re Tto Brt, it’s just 3 minutes.

As a child, I would be fascinated by planes flying over us and be amazed at the hugeness of these planes. As an adult, I get irritated by the noise. Planes cutting you mid a conversation are just annoying. We don’t really live near enough to experience hearing the sonic sound of airplanes during breakfast. But we see planes every time we drive around Parañaque. I have a friend who lost her best friend because one commercial plane decided one day to just skip the runway and land on her best friend’s house.  They live in an exclusive village near the airport runway. I hear these tragic stories every time. One time, before takeoff, a couple of grass self-combusted in the runway and had the entire takeoff operation paralyze for a while.

NAIA voted 5th worst airport in the world
All my life, I’ve been exposed to the killer traffic near the airport, and as I wait on the vehicle to move another inch, wonders of how the foreigners view the Philippines seeing the first things they see outside Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) engulf me. I mean, sitting in the comfort of an airconditioned car, I am already appalled at the scenery, how much will an excited foreigner make out of it?

So the news that we have the worst airport in Asia is kind of, well, not new. I haven’t been to Terminal 1 yet but Terminal 2 is bad enough in the arrival area (I like the departure area, sorry). And I just looooove Terminal 3. It’s new. It’s cold. It’s... new. I love it, but maybe because the budget airlines are there (hee hee) and the cheapness of it all made the big difference.

People in the website http://sleepinginairports.net/, the site that released the airport rankings, were complaining of bad comfort rooms and services in Terminal 2. Terminal 2 suddenly is equated to NAIA itself, so people don’t really know other terminals exist. But that does not have any bearing. They still think our airport is hideous. I don’t know the real score, but if it’s in Terminal 3, I would. I have 2 friends from the sanitation division and I know they do not sleep until all the bowls and sinks are squeaky clean. I know 3 people from the maintenance division and interviewing them, they gladly made out their own version of professional evaluation of Terminal 1. They are the people behind keeping the water drops from leaking into the bunbunan of important international officials upon arrival. I salute these people.

What does the government do about this? I have no idea. I tried googling reactions from the government’s side, but found nothing. Hmm. I didn’t try enough, I know.

If you want a real laugh, try reading http://sleepinginairports.net/. It’s very entertaining, and informative. You’ll get the feel of different airports from different people – who sleep in these airports. I think I will contribute something for Clark (DMIA).

Have you tried sleeping in an airport? I have. It’s super nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More