Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Summer Rains and Vegetables

Summer Rain


It’s summer. That’s not news. It’s raining during summer. Now that’s news. I don’t know about you but choosing which of my long-sleeved turtlenecks to wear in May is kind of weird for me. And walking barefoot on flooded highways makes me cranky, especially if I could be swimming in a beach somewhere outside Manila.

Lately, it has been raining. It’s May, a summer month, and we just experienced our second typhoon. Second. It’s May. From January to May, two typhoons came already. And May hasn’t come to its mid-month yet.


Having been an environment junky, I’ve often formulated my own versions of the weather phenomena. I’ve always known myself to be science-leaning and thought that by reading some random articles online through what I deem to be reliable resources, I can go my way and formulate litanies. I’ve read in the US Environmental Protection Agency website that changes in “land surface can have important effects on climate.” Hmm. My link-y brain goes like “So the increased deforestation in our rural areas and their conversion to villages for the rich can be blamed for rains during summer?”

That’s it. Just to have something to rant about during one of my bored bouts of too much brain activity, I now come up with a stand on the conversion of agricultural lands to villages.

Forget the expensive houses. Forget security. Forget the urbanization of rural areas. I need heat when it’s supposed to be there. I need sunshine when it’s legal to demand one. Give the healthy soil to the vegetables. We have no right to live on it with our multi-million mansions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More