Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A break from my holiday posts: POVERTY

I am currently viewing a website for the Philippine elite. It makes me think, "My God, where have all those rich people come from." It makes me wonder whether I am living in the wrong Philippines. Must be have been dreaming for decades. And to think that I came from this "elite" university and sat beside children and grandchildren of these creatures, the reality of their existence only caught up with me just now.

Blame it on the weather or the different news coming in nowadays in my twitter feed, (or my overhearing my publisher over the conference table)  but the catching up is disheartening. Not for me, but for those I see everyday on my way home (I do not at all dismiss the fact that I not poor, I can't lie about it).

I thought the meaning of bourgeois is "high class" or anyone at the topmost level of the societal caste. I was wrong. Miriam-Webster defines it as "characteristic of the social middle class." So I don't know how to call the upper class anymore. I feel more alienated from them now, like they're untouchable altogether.

But these websites serve their purpose. They make wealth something to desire and be depressed with. People, me not excluded, enjoy these sites.

No need to call me anti-elite or fake revolutionary anti-rich. I am positive that in the near future, the light year gap between the rich and the poor will be narrowed drastically. Looking forward to that. But for now, I shall read more on the Tatler.

UPDATE: I read in an article that the poorest countries in the world became rich by a notch. Here's the article.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More